Capacity Building for an Automated Solar Energy Ecosystem (C-BASE)
The Association of German-Yemeni Engineers (DJIV) ( www.djiv.de ) is a non-profit scientific and technical organization registered in Berlin with the aim of promoting cooperation between German and Yemeni organizations in the technical and academic field. The DJIV was founded in Berlin in 2015 and currently has around 90 members, most of whom are highly qualified Yemeni engineers and scientists who work in various areas of science and industry in Germany.
The German Corporation for International Cooperation (GIZ) ( www.giz.de ) is a development cooperation organization that operates internationally on behalf of various ministries in the Federal Republic of Germany. The GIZ has been involved in various development projects in Yemen since 1969.
As part of the business and employment promotion project that the GIZ is currently implementing on behalf of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) in Yemen, the DJIV and the GIZ signed a grant agreement on January 14, 2021. According to this contract, the GIZ is providing the DJIV with a grant for the implementation of the “Capacity Building for an Automated Solar Energy Ecosystem (C-BASE)” project from February 1, 2021 to January 31, 2022.
The aim of the project is to lay the foundation for a virtual energy platform (VEP) that will ultimately function as a bridge of knowledge and know-how between the solar energy organizations in Germany and Yemen.
In order to achieve this goal, the DJIV will independently carry out the following tasks:
- Creation of the knowledge base and development of the human and technical resources of the planned VEP
- Training Yemeni energy engineers in crucial interdisciplinary skills related to the application of solar energy and its multi-level challenges
- Introduction of a software system and creation of a technical document with the best practice guidelines in Arabic for the design of PV systems in the Yemeni solar energy society
- Compilation of accurate and complete weather data specific to the different geographical areas of Yemen
- Organization of a solar energy workshop as part of the next DJIV Technical Meeting (DTM 2021)
The DJIV is very pleased to implement this project in cooperation with the GIZ and is planning to initiate further projects in other areas.